Sunday, July 4, 2010

When the Sun Rose, by Barbara Helen Berger

When the sun rose today, a friend came to visit me.
She came in a carriage bright as the sun.
Even the stones in the road were shining.
Her lion stopped at my gate.
Then she got out of her carriage and came to my door.
I opened it and said, "Come in!"
The lion came in with her.
I was afraid.
Yet his feet were quiet as sunlight on the floor.
And my whole playhouse was warm.
We sat down and had some honeycake and tea.
The lion had blueberries with cream.
Then our dolls traded dresses.
The lion purred.
And we made rainbows all day.
Then my friend had to say goodbye.
Her carriage was gold as sunset.
"Will you come again?" I asked.
"Yes," she said, "I promise."
All the way, I watched her going home.
Even the stones had long shadows.
Now it is dark.
My friend is gone.
But she will keep her promise, I know,
for the rainbow we made still shines on the wall.
And my house is full of roses.