Wednesday, June 16, 2010

selections from the book: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

bel far niente: the beauty of doing nothing

  *  *  *

She said to me once, while regarding herself in a mirror, "Admittedly, I am not the one who looks fantastic in everything, but still I cannot help loving myself."

  *  *  *

"You bear God within you, poor wretch, and know it not." - Epictetus

 *  *  *

Yoga is about self-mastery and the dedicated effort to haul your attention away from your endless brooding over the past and your nonstop worrying about the future so that you can seek, instead, a place of eternal presence from which you may regard yourself and your surroundings with poise.  Only from that point of even-mindedness will the true nature of the world (and yourself) be revealed to you.  True Yogis, from their seat of equipoise, see all this world as an equal manifestation of God's creative energy - men, women, children, turnips, bedbugs, coral: it's all God in disguise.

 *  *  *

One of the boys spends all day scrubbing beside me, lecturing me earnestly on how to best perform my work here: "Take seriously.  Make punctual.  Be cool and easy.  Remember - everything you do, you do for God.  And everything God does, He do for you."

  *  *  *

Look for God, suggests my Guru.  Look for God like a man with his head on fire looks for water.

  *  *  *

     So I stood up and did a handstand on my Guru's roof, to celebrate the notion of liberation.  I felt the dusty tiles under my hands.  I felt my own strength and balance.  I felt the easy night breeze on the palms of my bare feet.  This kind of thing - a spontaneous handstand - isn't something a disembodied cool blue soul can do, but a human being can do it.  We have hands; we can stand on them if we want to.  That's our privilege.  That's the joy of a mortal body.  And that's why God needs us.  Because God loves to feel things through our hands.

  *  *  *

I close my eyes and let the mantra come.  I climb down that ladder into my own hub of stillness.  When I get there, I can feel the world halt, the way I always wanted it to halt when I was nine years old and panicking about the relentlessness of time.  In my heart, the clock stops and the calendar pages quit flying off the wall.  I sit in silent wonder at all I understand.  I am not actively praying.  I have become a prayer.

  *  *  *

He keeps his body strong, he says, by meditating every night before sleep and by pulling the healthy energy of the universe into his core.  He says that the human body is made of nothing more or less than the five elements of all creation - water, fire, wind, sky and earth - and all you have to do is concentrate on this reality during meditation and you will receive energy from all of these sources and you will stay strong.  "The microcosm becomes the macrocosm.  You - microcosm - will become same as universe - macrocosm."

  *  *  *

God long ago drew a circle in the sand exactly around the spot where you are standing right now.